Saturday 9 July 2022

Mixed Up Saturday featuring Sue's Mag Review

 


Good  Saturday Morning Ladies, 

Oh we have lots to look at today, cakes included !  

What are you all up to this sunny & warm Saturday?  We are off out early to do food shop and then relaxing rest of today,  we will pick a National Trust house for tomorrow and take a picnic. 

Now lets have a look at today's offerings......



Sonia's Baking




My Shopping 


I have wanted a Wax Seal kit for a couple years now, as we didn't go to the Newbury craft show I treated myself,  I just went for a simple design for the actual seal, it was only £7.99, the wax warmer and wax were £12.  I would like one with my Initial on but ones I liked had every letter but S, so wasnt meant to be.  I want it mainly for adding embellishments to me journal.


Simply Cards & Papercraft Issue 232


This month the gifts are both from Lou Collins own range of products called TEXT(ures) There is a two piece Owl die set and a set of sentiment stamps which are similar in style to the Dynamo type font that is really popular at the moment. 


This month the gifts are both from Lou Collins own range of products called TEXT(ures) There is a two piece Owl die set and a set of sentiment stamps which are similar in style to the Dynamo type font that is really popular at the moment. 






The first article uses both the owl and stamps to make a variety of cards. One of the cards that caught my eye is simply made by stamping the words in lines across the card in a few different colours. It looks great and I will be having a go at doing this. 
The How To: creates an aperture easel card which is another technique that I must try. 



Two lovely cards for someone who enjoys a cocktail or two. These stamp and die sets are from a North American company called The Ton. It is a new company to me and I must checkout their website. I love the large background die cut used on the second card. It could be used for all sorts of cards. 


This months In-depth guide to….No line colouring. By using a very pale ink to stamp, Antique Linen Distress ink and an Apple Blossom “A year in flowers May Peonies” are used here, after colouring as usual there are no outlines to be seen. The end image looks as if you have painted it rather than stamping which looks great especially on flowers I think.




It’s always interesting to see how many different ways you can use a stamp or die and here are 6 ways using this pretty floral stamp is Hero Arts Pop Up stamp and die bundle but we all have stamps that would be suitable. The black card with the stripes is a eye catching example. 



Some bright and cheerful cards to cheer you up. These are this months download digital stamp and SVG files. Perfect for any sea creatures lover. 



Tulle and shaker cards go together as a change from the usual Tulle and shaker cards go together as a change from the usual acetate. The tulle gives a softer more delicate finish to these shaker cards. But using different dies and colours you can make a card suitable for the men too so another good idea to store away. 



All of these owl cards are great for the men. They are made by using the free digital papers along with the freebie owl die. 
There is a How To: create an aged metallic triple-embossed topper. This technique gives a different look and feel to you cards. If you don’t want to use embossing powder you could always go for gilding wax or glitter flakes to give a similar look. 


A book shows us how to use crepe paper to make leaves and flowers that look beautiful. Very different to our crepe paper items we all made at school! The bamboo made here looks so life like and there is an exclusive download on how to make it.  This book is called Paper flowers by Jessie Chui. 




A handy article showing how to make prints/backgrounds similar to using a gel plate. Some acrylics paints, a 6”/15cm approx brayer and some stencils and you are ready to go. It’s a way to get the feel of using a gel plate before buying one. 



This article is making some clean and simple home decor pieces using inspirational words. If you aren’t happy to write the words freehand (that’s definitely me) then there are templates you can download. 



Here are more ideas using the free gifts. Something different is a mobile and a tote bag are made or decorated from felt. Owl coasters could make a nice gift and the How To: shows how to make a a pop up card. 
I wasn’t sure about the owl die as it can look “angry” but by changing what and how you use for eyes solves my problem. The stamps stamp really well and are a welcome addition to my stamp sentiments.

If anyone would like more info. please let me know xx

******************

Sue thank you so much for such an amazing Magazine Review,  there are some fantastic features and ideas.  Some lovely inspiration cards too. I really appreciate you taking the time to write it. XXX


Ladies I hope you all have a lovely weekend,  enjoy the sunshine,its nice just to sit outside. Keeping away from viruses, stay safe my lovelies, 

Love and hugs to all of you 

Sandra
xxxxxx










5 comments:

  1. Your cakes lol delicious Sonia I love Maltesers
    Thank you for the review Sue I ought to buy more magazines My card making is in such a rut and craft tele is not inspiring anymore
    I treated myself to a wax seal at Living Crafts in Hatfield I have a “spoon” and use my heat tool to melt the wax I’ll be very interested to see how you get along with those waxes I only have one colour at the moment
    It’s our turn to clean the bowls clubhouse today After that I intend to do absolutely nothing!
    Take care everyone xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ladies,
    Thank you Sue for the magazine review, some good things in there to make with the owl die and stamps.
    Mmmm Sonia, how far is it to you ? hihihi your baking look so yummy and well done trying to make the cake too.
    Looking forward to see how you do with the wax and seal Sandra. Not a bad price for it all.
    I hope you all feeling better who have backache, migraines and daily pain when the weather is nice but do take care. Not sitting in the sun today. Doing a CA so easier to make that indoors.
    Love and many hugs to you all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi All, it’s very hot and muggy here, find it difficult to catch my breath.
    Sonia you cup cakes look scrumptious, they used to be called buns when I was small. With R being pre diabetic, I don’t do any baking now.

    Sue fantastic magazine review, must take you ages, with the text and photographs.

    Sandra you wax seal kit looks interesting, I have always wanted one, but was never sure how easy they were to use. I’m always burning my hands cooking, because of the arthritis in my fingers.

    Hope you all have a lovely afternoon, I shall be watching the ladies final from Wimbledon. Hugs to all Lilian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everyone
    I love the quote 😉
    Great magazine review Sue, with lots of interesting articles. I like the free stamps too 😊
    The cupcakes were very tasty, and as you can imagine, didn’t last very long ☺️
    Very hot at work today, and looking to be the same tomorrow. I hope you’re all enjoying the lovely weather and having a good day.
    Sending hugs to you all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sandra and all in the Cafe today. I look forward to Saturdays crafty saying, funny how I seem to agree with them, same as you all too I expect 🤣
    Sandra have a lovely day out with Paul tomorrow. It’s always good to hear of your visits. Chris enjoys looking around and Roz, daughter in law, loves them as much as I do. We keep saying we should go but leave the children at home with the men so we can look around without feeling rushed or guilty xx
    Sonia your cakes look delicious, no surprise they vanished quickly 😄 we xx
    Lilian, sorry you are suffering but I hope have the tennis to watch has been enjoyable. When we were children small cakes were called fairy cakes xx
    Maria what CA are you doing at the moment? Please can you share them with us? Xx
    Karen I hope you have had a lazy day after your cleaning stint xx
    Brenda. I’m sending you the gentlest hugs dear friend and I’m hoping you are recovering well xx
    Janet have you got a date for going to your little piece of tranquility? Xx
    Thank you for your kind words about the review. I keep forgetting to do it on my laptop instead of my phone so I have to send it to Sandra in 3 parts as if I try and do it all in one my phone makes it vanish which is areal pain. I only lost it once this month and next month I will remember to use my laptop. Sending love and hugs to you all xx

    ReplyDelete