Monday 20 January 2020

My First 'Pattern Background' Challenge Card



Good Monday Morning Ladies,

We were blessed with a glorious day yesterday, we had an extremely hard frost but the sun shone all day, it was a crisp, cold, beautiful Sunday!  I hope that you were also blessed with the same weather, doesn't it make a difference to the day?!
We didn't to anything exciting, we had to go shopping for the essentials to get us through the first part of the week, we also managed to pick up an Oil Filled Radiator for my Craft Room from Home Bargains for a really good price, it makes so much more sense than heating the whole house, it's on wheels too so if I want to take it into the lounge I can move it quite easily.  I tend to do my Groovi cards in the lounge as I find it easier as I can use one of the side tables and I am 'above' my work, where my craft desk is quite high so I end up really aggravating my back, now I can get my Groovi gear in my craft trolley, I can hook the Radiator to the back of my trolley and I got myself a crafting train to take me to the lounge!  I can wait to try it out!  (we did try the radiator when we got back from the shop and it heats up really fast and makes a huge difference in my chilly craft room).

Now onto my card, I sat and had fun playing with a few different 'pattern building' ideas, some worked great some weren't my favourites!!
I do love how this one turned out though, to create the pattern I taped a mask/stencil to my card base with low tack tape, I then took three colours of Distress Oxides : Squeezed Lemonade, Spiced Marmalade & Ripe Persimmon, although it's hard to pick out the three colours (I'm going to say that it's my perfect blending😜😜thats to blame)!
I struggled when it came to the sentiment, I didn't want to cover up that lovely background to be honest.  I decided to add the die cut 'Hello' but it looked lost, I didn't want to put a banner die cut under it as again it would hide the background.  So I decided to colour a piece of card with the Ripe Persimmon Distress Oxide, I cut it down to a narrow strip and angled one end, I placed that at the bottom corner and placed the 'Hello' die cut (I die cut three seperate pieces and glued them on top of each other, I covered the 'hello' with Perfect Medium (sticky ink) and covered it with Clear Embossing Powder, I heat set and dipped it straight back into the Embossing powder while still hot, heated again and dipped once more.  I gives a real High Shine to the die cut and makes it look more of an embellishment.
I placed the 'Hello' just above the strip of coloured card and then added one of the stickers from Tim Holtz Idea-Ology Chitchat Word Stickers, I chose 'Friend'. At first I thought the black word stuck out like a sore thumb but it really does work, gives a bit of a 'Trendy' look!! haha
I quite like how it turned out, I am really enjoying this challenge, I made quite a glittery mess mind, I didn't love the result though, so I have put it on the 'pending' pile!

I hope that you all have a lovely day today,

Love and hugs to all of you,

Sandra
xxxxxx

10 comments:

  1. Morning Ladies

    Sandra-what’s lovely card, nice and bright like the sunshine we had yesterday . It’ certainly does cheer you up.

    I actually made it in to my craft room yesterday-I has toppers that have been printed for months so I finally sorted out backing papers and made them all into cards. Next job is a birthday card to send to Florida.

    I have a meeting to attend this morning-a formal consultation with HR & the Union about extended weekend working. Basically we’re being notified that pharmacy will be open 7 full days. I have an issue in that I don’t work in the main pharmacy (haven’t fit over 12 years) and my service is only Monday to Friday....let’s see what they have to say about that.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Everyone
    A lovely cheerful and bright card to start us on our way for this week.

    MICHELE-good luck with your meeting and I hope everything works in your favour.I'll be thinking of you.

    It's a very cold start here but at least it's dry.
    I must start thinking about my CC today.

    The CAFE is OPEN and nice and warm/cosy so pop in.Tea/coffee pots are at the ready to.

    HUGS are on their way to you all with extras for LYNDA and MARGARET today.Take care and stay safexxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning all
    A very pretty card SANDRA I must get my few stencils out and play They’re probably one of the first craft things I bought (after a CD-ROM) watching Ali Reeve on C&C Sounds like your little heater will do the trick Happy Warm Crafting
    I did a lot of housework yesterday and also managed to mess up a die cut pattern piece that was in my stash So I have started that again
    I hope the conjunctivitis clears soon MARGARET BIG hugs
    Breakfast done So off for a shower
    Take care all xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandra and all in the Cafe today. Sandra you have made a beautiful card. I love the doily mask/stencil and the perfect blending. I can just see you setting up your craft train 😁
    Glad you will be nice and warm xx
    Mum, hope your cold and eyes are much better now. Love you xx
    Maria, it sounds like you had a great holiday. Sad that you didn’t get to the waterfall again. No doubt you need a few days to recover now though but worth it x
    Brenda, I’m glad that the steroid jab is working well for you. Hopefully it will last long enough to keep you pain free all year x
    Michele, I hope the meeting goes in your favour x
    Lynda, sending you both big hugs xx
    Lilian, you are lucky having a good painter. It will be well worth it x
    I don’t have many masks/stencils either and don’t think to use them very often either.
    Here’s a question ladies. What is the difference between masks and stencils? Are they actually the same ? Or are stencils solid and masks flexible? I never know what to call them and I noticed that Sandra does the same as me and puts both names. Just wondered of any of you know.
    It’s a usual Monday so we are on pre school and school pick ups and swimming later so that’s my day sorted. Sending love and hugs to you all with extras for all in need. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don’t think there is a difference

      Delete
  5. Hi Sanda and ladies
    I’m sat watching the bowls on channel 2and realised I hadn’t looked at your blog yet Sandra. Then realised I hadn’t looked yesterday either. Great cards yesterday though,
    A lovely card today Sandra. I’ve put the slow cooker on today but wished I’d got some mushrooms to put in my beef casserole. Bright and sunny here today as well Sandra but cold. Millie came just after lunch to cut my toe nails, she’s off skiing next month with her family in the french alps. I’d end up on my backside if I tried. I have a problem on two legs sometimes, let alone on thin ski’s. your heater sounds ideal Sandra. Portable as well so you can use it wherever it’s needed.
    Gentle hugs to all who need one today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sandra and ladies,

    Thank you for your great inspiration, Love the background, you have blended the colours beautifully they just work so perfectly together. xx So pleased you have now got an oil filled radiator for your craft room, it’s going to make such a difference, you will be so snug, might find you have more company - i.e. the cats!

    Attempted to make a start on this weeks CC. What a waste of time I was picking things up and putting them back down again. Think I need to reorganise my craft space then perhaps my mojo will return. 🤞

    Keep safe and warm ladies, Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi everyone.
    Beautiful card Sandra. Love to see your train Lol sound good with a oil filled radiator to keep yourself snug when crafting, hope it works well.
    Hope the meeting went well Michele and your day was ok.
    Lilian- glad you managed to take care of your meat, what a disaster when the freezer not working as they should. We are worried sometimes about the one (fridge/freezer) we got in the garage but so far it works fine.
    Lynda- hope you alright, take care.
    Margaret- hope you alright and the conjunctivitis is getting better. Big hug.
    Pat- hope your Millie will have a good holiday. Never been to France ski resorts, love the Austrian. I will send some photos to Sandra.
    Sue- hope you had nice day with the little ones. Well getting back to cleaning and cooking don't take long to get back to Lol but it was lovely to have a week off.
    Sorry being in the cafe' so late again,another day have gone by and not much for it except another washing machine done and we managed to have a walk so trying to keep that going but not looking forward to weigh-in in the morning. Have not been since beginning of Dec. Shaking in my boots Lol
    Have a nice night everyone and warm hugs to you all, Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete