Saturday 17 February 2024

Mixed Up Saturday

 


Good Saturday Morning Ladies, 

We have a busy day today, my Sister Emily is coming today and we are going wedding dress shopping, then we are out for dinner at one if Becca's restaurants in the evening.   

Sonia has very kindly done us a product test on Mixed Media art pads...

Mixed Media Art Pad Review.

I purchased two mixed media pads recently when I was in town, and thought I’d do a comparison and review of them. 

Having previously done an online search of WHSmith, I was quite surprised at the amount of watercolour pads they had. However, once I got there they didn’t actually have as much in stock as I was hoping. 

I decided on their own brand mixed media pad.


It cost £9.99, which I didn’t think was too bad a price for 30 sheets of A4. I would’ve liked a higher weight, I usually go for 300gsm for watercolour, but I thought I’d try it.

I then wandered around to The Works. I have got watercolour card from there before, but it warps quite a bit and isn’t really white in colour, more a grey tint to it.

I was surprised to find a different brand mixed media pad.


It was £7.00, and could’ve kicked myself that I didn’t go there first! I bought it anyway, more for the fact of its 300gsm weight.
Having got them home, I thought I’d compare them.
The WHSmith one is textured and The Works one is smooth. Both are a nice white colour.
I saw a video on Instagram which I thought I’d use to try them out. So I gathered my supplies.



Ink smooshing using a small plastic bag (so happy I kept all those waste bags from Covid tests - I knew they’d come in handy one day πŸ˜‚)

I put a little ink on the bag and spritzed with water. I then smooshed onto the card, drying it between each application. I wasn’t impressed with my first attempt on The Works card, I do think I used a bit too much water on the inked bag, and the card warped a lot and in places pitted the card.


I tried again on The Works card, not using as much water. A more pleasing result


I then did the same technique on the WHSmith card


Although the weight of the WHSmith card was lower, it didn’t seem to warp as much as The Works card.
I think out of the two, I would definitely buy the WHSmith one again. It seemed to hold up better than The Works. I like the texture of it too. 
I’m pretty sure The Works one will be okay for normal ink blending, and projects using a small amount of water or liquid paint with its nice smooth surface. I will let you know 😊




*************************

Thank you so much Sonia,  a very informative review, its amazing that they can be so different.

I only have one Mixed Media card pack, its very cream coloured, so not my favourite.  It was a Dolly Dimples one, they raved about it at on Hochanda at the time. So I may give the WHSMITH  a go. 

Tha k you so for going to trouble of testing, writing and photographing your review, I really do appreciate you ❤️ 

I hope that you all have a lovely weekend, 

Love and hugs to all of you,

Sandra xxx


6 comments:

  1. Have a lovely day with Emily It will be emotional in lots of ways and I hope she finds one she fall in love with
    I love today’s saying I’ve been in this underworld for over 50 years with various crafts
    Thank you Sonia for your excellent review Are watercolour pads the same as mixed media pads? I have 3 of them Pink Frog -good
    Creative Expressions- terrible it pills like crazy and
    Canson Bristol - good
    Going to daughter’s later and we’re going to have a takeaway
    Take care everyone xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi everyone
    That quote is definitely true πŸ˜‚
    Have a lovely day with Emily. I hope she finds the perfect wedding dress ☺️
    I really enjoyed doing the mixed media pad review, I hope you all find it helpful ☺️
    Karen, I think they are pretty much the same as watercolour pads, but they stipulate that you can use other mediums on them too, so not specifically just for watercolours. I was a little disappointed, as when I looked at WHSmith online they did show a Canson Bristol watercolour pad, but unfortunately didn’t have it in store! I would’ve definitely got that after hearing all of your good reviews on it on our chat group. But, I’m really pleased with the WHSmith’s own brand one, so will definitely buy it again 😊
    I hope you’re all having a good day
    Sending hugs to you all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello all, another wet day here, but it’s much warmer.
    The saying is very true of me.

    I sure you have had a lovely emotional day with your sister.
    Sonia your review is very interesting, I use Bristol paper and generic hot pressed water colour paper. If you are doing a large piece you can pre stretch your paper so that when you use a lot of water it doesn’t buckle.
    Only domestic chores today, my back and legs really hurt so I have rest after small parts.

    Sleep well everybody, Lilian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sandra and everyone,
    Sandra I’m sure today has been a very emotional day for both you and Emily, but also it has created so many special memories for you both. I hope she managed to find ‘‘the’ dress😍❤️
    Sonia thank you for your in-depth review on Mixed media pads it was very informative and helpful.
    Take care everyone and sleep well. Brenda xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi everyone.
    Hope you had a nice day going wedding dress shopping with your sister today, did she find anything she liked ?
    Thanks Sonia for the review of water colour papers. I prefer the smooth version but finding harder to find. Maybe i will have a look in Smith's.
    Have a good night everyone and take care. Many hugs Maria xx

    ReplyDelete