Tuesday 25 April 2023

Blended Distress Ink backgrounds (Not Oxides)

 




Good Morning Ladies, 

I hope today finds you all as well as can be expected!  Sadly none of us come under the "well" title!  😔 Sending big squishy hugs to anyone who needs one. 

We had a wet and miserable day yesterday,  in fact when Paul popped to the letter box late afternoon he said it was so cold you could see your breath, too cold to put my newly transplanted seedlings into the little greenhouse we put outside the back door.  The utility room looks like a potting shed at the moment! 

Now onto todays cards,  I had a lovely time playing with Distress Inks, I haven't used them in ages, I saw a couple of projects on Pinterest that I loved the colours of so I decided to have a play, I have to say that I was surprised at how vibrant the colours were!  The bottom card was my first attempt,  one of the tutorials I read said to smoosh the ink onto the watercolour card with a piece of acetate, while I liked the depth of colour (after a few layers, I dried between each layer) I wasn't really happy with the blockiness of the colours, so I tried again using thicker watercolour card this time (first one was Bristol smooth).  This time I smooshed the inks into the glass mat and spritzed with water until they started to blend together and then I dipped my piece of card into the ink, I dried with heat gun and repeated until I was happy, now I loved how gorgeous the blend was on this piece ( middle picture).                                                                               However when it came to stamping onto them the roles reversed!  The bottom card (Bristol smooth) took the ink really well so the embossing powder stuck well,  the beautiful blended thicker card did not want to take the ink,  it had a rougher texture,  I think the ink may have been absorbed into the card although I added embossing powder straight away 🙄, who knows!  It was very frustrating though, so card 1: I loved the ink blend but stamping looks distressed.                                                                    Card 2: ink blend not so great but took ink much better !     

The colours I used are: Picked Raspberry,  Wild Honey,  Cracked Pistachio & Mermaid Lagoon.  The stamp set is Hero Arts Social Butterfly. 

I have to say that I am really enjoying trying so many different techniques.

I hope that you all have a great day, stay warm, 

Love and hugs to all of you  

Sandra                                                                    xxxxxx 



6 comments:

  1. morning everyone
    What a beautiful set of colours SANDRA. Just the thing to brighten up a dull start to the day though at the moment we have some sunshine but it's still cold.

    I want to try and get into my craft room today as I need to get a birthday card made.
    Other than that just a normal day here.

    HUGS on their way to you all with loads and loads of extras for all dear friends in need. Take care and stay safe.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both lovely and a great technique
    It’s Oscar’s 7th birthday today Hopefully we’ll see him later
    I’m a bit of a rush to get ready for work Take care everyone xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone
    I love both of your cards today, the colours are beautiful, as are the butterflies 😊
    A better day here today as we have blue skies and sunshine, fingers crossed it lasts.
    Brenda, glad yesterday went well xx
    Sue, enjoy your few days away xx
    Karen, Happy Birthday to Oscar 🥳 xx
    Have a good day everyone whatever you’re going.
    Sending hugs to you all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sandra and ladies,
    Love both cards Sandra but I’m with you on stamping, the Bristol Smooth card gives a very sharp image and the background colours are really beautiful. Another great technique.
    Karen hope you get to see Oscar, Seven years old - where has the time gone? I recall we were talking about him one time at Watford, think he was only about one. Hope he has a lovely birthday xx
    Janet hope you make it into your craft room today xx
    Sue enjoy your time - alone together! 😘 at last. When was the last time it was just the two of you? xx
    Sonia hope you have a good day xx
    Anyone else looking in I hope you have a good day too xx
    Take care ladies and stay safe, Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone, dry but such a cold wind. No washing today , as the machine bearings have broken. New machine coming tomorrow, as my is 12 years old so not worth repairing.

    Sandra, love todays cards, both really lovely, you always manage to keep your colours so crisp and the stamping so clear. Did you use a heat gun to dry the layers, or let them dry naturally?
    I had a bit of mending to do today, not done much else. Going to move things in the utility for the delivery tomorrow.
    Hope you are all having a good day , Lilian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi everyone
    Gorgeous cards. Love the background you managed to make here.
    Haven't done too much today. Finished a very small crystal work and helped OH to clean his office. Not sure why he has so many little things out to get so dusty, look whose talking 😄 I can't even move my chair around for it is so much stuff around on the floor too as the desk 😂
    Many hugs to you all. Hope you can have a good night xxx

    ReplyDelete