Thursday 26 December 2019




Good Morning Ladies,

Well, where did Christmas day go??? the day just disappeared in our house, Paul and I spent most of the day in the kitchen to be honest.
We tried a couple of 'new things' that delayed our usual relaxed and easy lunch preparation, I decided last minute (Christmas eve lunch time) that it would be a good idea to 'Brine' the turkey, so I found out a really large bowl, which I sterilised and filled with a brining recipe that I found on Google.
Basically a cup of salt to 4 litres of water and then you can add whatever flavourings etc that you like, I added some sliced lemon and orange, thyme, bay, onion, carrot and peppercorns, we then added the turkey to its little spa bath and left it overnight (we usually cook the turkey on Christmas eve).
When it came to preparing the turkey for the oven I realised what a huge turkey Paul had bought, I prepared it as I usually do and covered it with foil, we decided to cook it in the Aga as the turkey crown that I cooked to take to my mums was really moist and delicious, we had to drop the shelf to the bottom of the Aga oven to fit it in, I think that it may have been a bit large for the Aga oven, after 3 hours we decided to transfer it to the big main oven, to finish it off which only took another hour, luckily it was perfectly cooked and the brining seemed to add to the moistness of the breast meat too.
We ended up being about an hour later than we had scheduled but nobody seemed to mind, the three girls and Adam (Becca's Boyfriend) were happily playing games in the lounge throughout the day.
They loved their Christmas Lunch, and we spent the rest of the day and night playing games, Matt came home in the early evening with his Girlfriend Alex and joined in the games, I think that we all admitted defeat at about 10.45pm and everyone headed off to bed, (all three Girls have work today).
It was a lovely day, made special with all the fun and laughter xxx

I hope that you all had a lovely day with family and are doing the same today.

Thank you for you lovely comments yesterday, you all inspire me to get up and blog each day, even on my worst days I still feel driven by my commitment to all of you, so thank you for the encouragement my lovely friends xxx

Have a lovely Boxing day,

Love and hugs to all of you,

Sandra
xxxxxx

8 comments:

  1. Morning Everyone
    I hope that all of you are having a more restful day today. I for one am hoping to do just that.
    We had a busy one yesterday entertaining our Dear Friend to lunch etc and thankfully had an early night to bed.

    The CAFE is once again on short hours today but full service will resume tomorrow lol.

    HUGS a plenty are on their way to you.Take care and stay safexxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Ladies

    Sandra-glad everything worked out ok with the turkey.

    Our day was lovely-went quickly though. Dad stayed until about 4pm and left to walk the dog (Casper ) then my brother & sister in law stayed until about 9:30. They only left that early because they’d forgotten their keys to Dads and didn’t want to be too late back. Phil & I watched a couple of Carry on films then went to bed.
    I’m still struggling with severe pain & I’m not looking forward to sitting in the car then sitting on uncomfortable chairs at the Nursing Home!
    Never mind-I still have 3 days off to relax after today!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning all
    We had a lovely day OH did the PARKRUN in his Father Christmas onesie and hat He quickly showered and changed and went to the zoo (Gary’s resting place) for breakfast and then to our daughter’s to open pressies and cuddles with Oscar
    Back home I finished cooking our dinner
    Today I am making a sherry trifle and some blueberry muffins to take to daughter where all of the family are going for a buffet tea So I’ll get to see Oscar again! Yay!
    Take care all xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS SANDRA Your day sounded wonderful Lots of fun and laughter with family Just the right recipe for Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning everyone and happy boxing day.
    Thank you Sandra for all the work you do to keep your wonderful blog going and I wish you to know how much this blog means to me.
    Your Christmas day sound lovely and it is so nice to be with the family. We went over to SIL first in the morning for a cuppa and then continued to her eldest daughter who was holding the lunch this year. Her husband was cooking it all which was a treat and it was twelve of us around the table. Loved seeing the happy faces on Molly and little Louis opening their presents (way to many as usual) Louis is a real sweetie so understand Karen how lovely it is to have little Oscar around. After some games and listening to Molly singing and dancing it was 8.30pm and we walked across the road to SIL younger daughter for cheese, biscuits and wine. Got back home just after midnight. OH got up early to go to T.ham for the football, Son sleeping in and I am going to have my feet up and watch catch-ups and eat left overs from Christmas Eve. I wish you all a nice , relaxing day and sending gentle hugs for Michele and Lynda, take care.
    Many hugs to you all, Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandra & all in café,
    Sandra thank you for hard work on the blog, I might not comment every day but always read it, thank you. Your day sounded lovely. We had a lovely time at Richards, but I am tired today.xxx
    Sounds as if you all had a lovely time. Sending hugs to all love Margaret.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi All, hope you all had a lovely day. We sent the day at our sons with Oscar and Mimi, they are so bright and full of conversation, plus reading out all the silly jokes from the crackers, which they though were very funny.

    We are going to Little Over in Derby tomorrow, R has a meeting and I’m hoping to find some where open to amuse myself, then head home tomorrow.

    Hugs to all, Lilian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sandra and all in the Cafe today.
    Sandra, It sounds like you had the perfect day yesterday even if the turkey took a bit longer than expected. Our dinner at eldest sons was later too but still had a wonderful day watching little Chris open his presents then having Mum and Pop with us for dinner etc. was the icing on the cake for us all 🥰 It’s good to hear you all had a good time too xx
    I hope everyone has had another lovely day today. I must admit I am feeling very tired too Mum, worth it though wasn’t it. Tomorrow is going to be a quite one for lots of us I think isn’t it xx
    Sending love and hugs to you all with extras for Lynda, Terry, Michele and all in need. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete